Debugging times

David Malone dwmalone at maths.tcd.ie
Thu Jul 12 08:51:37 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 12:14:43AM +0200, Ivan Voras wrote:
> I've got interesting results (in the bad sense of the phrase): I do get
> the message "Invalid time in real time clock. Check and reset the time
> immediately" (the i386 message) BUT my time gets reset to 0 (midnight
> 1970.)

Ah - that's interesting. Could you look for the comment in
src/sys/i386/isa/clock.c that says:

	/* Should we set dow = -1 because some clocks don't set it correctly? */

and add a line afterwards to say:

	ct.dow = -1;

and see if that helps?

> I see your patch and it shouldn't do that. Could it be a compiler bug,
> so the effects change after trivial code has been changed?

I think that without the patch, the clock is initialised using a
chunk of uninitialised memory on the stack, which could result in
all sorts of random values being used. With the patch, things may
be a little more deterministic.

	David.