LDAP integration

Lamont Granquist lamont at scriptkiddie.org
Wed Jan 10 21:46:25 UTC 2007

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007, Vulpes Velox wrote:
> The why is because I like centralized management and it would be
> really handy for that. For my use, it would be handy in regards to my
> laptops.
>
> I feel better central management is extreme significant. If I had
> nothing more to say than "this would be neat!" we would not still be
> talking. Right now I am just poking around for other people
>
> I regards to searching the archives, I am not seeing any thing in
> regards to LDAP outside of NSS recently. I am also not finding any
> thing in regards to dynamically and automatically building various
> config files.

Why are you doing this in the FreeBSD rc scripts directly?  Why not
install cfengine and work on making cfengine play better with
database-driven config?

And if you're looking specifically at the /etc/rc.conf config file, what
would be more useful would be an /etc/rc.conf.d/ directory.  That gets
away from the need to tweak and edit the /etc/rc.conf config file with
multiple inputs tweaking a single file.  Instead you can drop whole
orthogonal fragments into /etc/rc.conf.d/inetd to manage the inetd config
which would make it more friendly to radmind-like approaches.  It also
makes it easier to use with cfengine since orthogonal cfengine modules
aren't doing editfiles touches to the same files.  The /etc/cron.d
directory that (most?) linux distros have is similarly very useful to drop
in files that contain completely orthogonal config (and may be written by
entirely different config management tools -- e.g. system config
management vs. application deployment/management), and the /etc/periodic
functionality is not flexible enough to cover all cases.