beefy system exhausted by MRTG port install (Cannot allocate memory)

Arone Silimantia aronesimi at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 20 17:45:00 UTC 2007

--- Eric Anderson <anderson at freebsd.org> wrote:

> > after this attempt, swapinfo still shows zero swap
> in use.
> >
> > What does this mean ?
> >
> > Is my system now in an unstable state ?  Should I
> reboot ?
>
> Did you try reducing your maxdsiz to something a few
> hundred mb's less?

No - after the 'make install' stopped I have not
touched anything.  As I said, swapinfo still shows
zero swap being used.

It's a Big Deal (TM) to bring this system down, and I
believe maxdsiz cannot be tuned on the fly with sysctl
... are you suggesting that either make or cc just
gets out of hand and makes a process too big for
themselves ?

If so, is it possible to tell make or cc to behave
ahead of time, and leave maxdsiz alone ?

Thanks.