Ralink driver and FreeBSD 6.2?

Thomas David Rivers rivers at dignus.com
Wed Feb 21 01:01:59 UTC 2007

Forent Thoumie wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 23:05 -0500, Thomas David Rivers wrote:
> > I've got a Dell Dimension 4100 (circa 2000) running FreeBSD 6.2.
> >
> > I plugged in a Linksys WMP54G wireless PCI card, which should
> > be supported by the 'ral' driver.   However, my pciconf says:
> >
> >   none2 at pci2:9:0: class=3D0x028000 card=3D0x00551737 chip=3D0x03011814 re=
> v=3D0x00 hdr=3D0x00
> >       vendor   =3D 'Ralink Technology, Corp'
> >       class    =3D network
>
> Load the if_ral.ko module using kldload (or/and /boot/loader.conf) or
> recompile your kernel with "device ral".
>
> PS: This is a question for stable at freebsd.org, not hackers at FreeBSD.org.
>
> --
> Florent Thoumie

 Hi Florent!

  Many thanks for the suggestion - I should have provided more
 information, but, in fact, I did have the proper command in
 /boot/loader.conf.

  This was with the out-of-the-box GENERIC kernel.  When I added
 the option in /boot/loader.conf, it complained about ral already
 being there - so I'm pretty sure it's  in the kernel.

  That's what led me to freebsd-hackers instead of freebsd-stable,
 as something is "amiss" here.

  I'm beginning to wonder if it's the version of the card.  Apparently,
 Ralink has a few versions - this is the linksys WMP54G version 4.1
 instead of version 4.0.  Perhaps the "probe" in if_ral.c doesn't
 find this card?

  I last did serious Freebsd kernel debugging in the FreeBSD 4.x
 timeframe, and a *lot* of things have changed since then.  As soon
 as I can find my way around again, I'll start looking into what's
 going on.

  Also - on a related thread - using NDIS on this card doesn't
 work too well either.  I can ifconfig the card, use DHCP to get
 everything set-up, but the first packet moving through it
 gets a very lovely panic.    When I get kgdb up-and-running,
 I'll have more info to pass along.

  Thanks again!

	- Dave Rivers -

--