Weird behaviours with SATA DVD Drives

Thomas Sparrevohn Thomas.Sparrevohn at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 12 02:25:42 UTC 2007

Hi

I just got a new system that has two SATA DVD Drives in it.  There are a
couple of weird issues so I list in order - With the Jan snapshot the kernel
only see the DVD Drive that the CD was booted in - but it cannot later on
when sysinstall is running use the drive but gives read errors

So I installed the system from a spare USB CD Drive - When I boot the system
normally it does not find any SATA DVD's at all - atacontrol comes out blank
- However if I boot from a DVD drive with

unload
Rootdev=disk0s1
Currdev=disk0s1

The atacontrol can see the opposite drive to the one I booted from. So I
CVSUP'ed and got the kernel up to date and here what happens

I am still booting from the DVD Drive but running the systems of the
internal disk and here the funny thing. The kernel can see one drive -
However if I detach that CD and detach the empty SATA channel where the
other CD are I can attach any one of them - but not at the same time

See the atacontrol for the sequence - I can make the kernel panic - if I
have one drive attached and detach the other channel and try to reinit it
the kernel panics with a mutex error in ata-queue - unfortunately I done
have a kernel dump

Regards
	Thomas