Finding libraries to link with and autoconf resources?

John E Hein jhein at timing.com
Sun Feb 11 23:39:27 UTC 2007

Mike Meyer wrote at 16:09 -0500 on Feb 11, 2007:
 > In <17871.29428.183244.232189 at gromit.timing.com>, John E Hein <jhein at timing.com> typed:
 > > In your freebsd port, there is a common idiom that looks like this
 > > in the Makefile:
 > >
 > > LDFLAGS+=-L/your/path/to/png/lib
 > > CPPFLAGS+=-I/your/path/to/png/include
 > > CONFIGURE_ENV=CPPFLAGS="${CPPFLAGS} LDFLAGS="${LDFLAGS}
 >
 > The port idiom is correctly more like:
 >
 > LDFLAGS+=-L$(LOCALBASE)/subdir/to/png/lib
 > CPPFLAGS+=-I$(LOCALBASE)/subdir/to/png/include
 >
 > to get LOCALBASE correct.

Not if you don't have it in LOCALBASE ;) (that's one of the problems I
have with ports - they all assume everything is in LOCALBASE, but I
often want to try stuff that I put elsewhere).

But, yes, most ports do something like that.

 > > ports@ is a better place to ask such questions, by the way.
 >
 > Unless it's really an autoconf question, in which case the right place
 > would be an autoconf list.

True enough... or the author of the original software if you really
want them to fix their configure / configure.in

But ports@ or the PH is a good place to ask about working around such
upstream problems and getting it built on FreeBSD.