FreeSBIE DVD with KDE,Gnome,Java,OpenOffice.org et al?

George Wood gwood+freesbie at woodsite.net
Sun Feb 11 20:15:50 UTC 2007

Ok, I know this will sound like I'm an ungrateful wretch.

I love FreeSBIE, but I would like more than will fit on a CD.

Please don't be offended, I love what you've done and this is not
meant as criticism.  I know that deciding what to put into a CD is
tough, and everybody probably has something they would like added, but
a CD can only hold so much.

So how hard is it to make a bootable DVD?  What's the simplest way to
add packages to the 2.0.1 iso, and make a dvd-bootable iso?

I haven't seen any discussion of this on the FreeSBIE wiki or mailing
list.  It must be possible, since I have a bootable Knoppix DVD; but
of course, that isn't FreeSBIE.

I hope this doesn't rankle anyone, I'd just like to know how to do it,
if possible.

I would be happy to try to build one and to document my steps, but I
need some pointers to get started.  If licensing/distribution is a
problem with some of my suggested software additions (e.g. Java and
things that depend on it) perhaps I could create a buildset and/or
script that people could use to roll their own.  (My understanding of
the Sun Java license is that it changed recently and may now allow a
distribution including it, but I'm certainly no expert on this).

To this end, I added a section to the wiki to stimulate discussion. I
have appended it below.

Thanks for all your hard work in getting us to 2.0.1; I really
appreciate it.

George

----------- new wiki page (as viewed using lynx) ----------

   #start contents Recent Changes Current Namespace Plain HTML Wiki
   Markup

   [[software_for_bootable_dvd]]
   FreeSBIEWiki
   Edit this page
   Old revisions
   Recent changes

   "Please sir, may I have some more?".

   Software for bootable DVD

   Yes, the CD is full, but I would like a bootable FreeSBIE DVD with:

   Java Diablo or some other jdbc 1.4.2 or 1.5 (or are there still
   unsuperable license issues, even now that Sun has changed the
   licensing and the FreeBSD foundation distributes Diablo.

   OpenOffice.org Wasn't this on the 1.1 cd? Is this also a victim of
   Java licensing?

   KDE and or Gnome I'm guessing that they were just too big for the CD

   More multimedia stuff

   I have a Knoppix DVD with all this and more, but of course that's not
   FreeBSD; I think Ubuntu gets most of this on their CD (with separate
   distributions including Gnome (Ubuntu) and KDE (Kubuntu).

   software_for_bootable_dvd.txt · Last modified: 11/02/2007 20:05 by
   63.230.221.49
   Edit this page
   Old revisions
   [BUTTON]

   Recent changes RSS feed Creative Commons License Donate Powered by PHP
   Valid XHTML 1.0 Valid CSS Driven by DokuWiki

George D. Wood, Ph.D.
gwood AT woodsite DOT net