pin/bind a pthread to a processor? (take 2)

Julian Elischer jelischer at ironport.com
Sat Feb 10 03:14:17 UTC 2007

Peter Holmes wrote:
> This is something I am interested in doing as well. I had corresponded with
>
> Julian Eischen & Daniel Elischer  about this.

Dan Eischen and Julian Elischer :-)

> This was suggested by them but I haven't been able to figure it
>
> all out. Basically we could create SYSTEM_SCOPE pthreads. This way
>
> there is one KSE per pthread. I was hoping I could bind each KSE
>

> using sched_bind() - however the kernel doesn't  handle this very
>
> well.

"KSE"s are gone in 7

A system scope thread is just a thread that doesn't do the multiplexing..
it could be bound to a cpu if we had the syscall to do that,, and since it doesn't
multiplex on a kernel thread, that user thread would remain bound to that cpu.

> I know this sort of thing isn't for every one but it can be useful as John G. has indicated.
>
> Will the gurus here comment on whether this approach will work and what I am doing wrong.
>
> Mucho Gracias,
>
> Peter

would work if we made the syscall to do so.