pkg_add does not backtrack, does it?

Henry Lenzi henry.lenzi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 23:53:58 UTC 2007

On 2/6/07, Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> wrote:
> In <8b4c81f0702061514r5a753e48yea0ce9b937236fc3 at mail.gmail.com>, Henry Lenzi <henry.lenzi at gmail.com> typed:
> >  I haven't found the pkg_add code (it's in Ruby, is it?).
>
> It's in /usr/src/usr.sbin/pkg_install/add. And no, it's not in ruby.
>
> > But from the behaviour of pkg_add -r, it's safe to say that it
> > doesn't backtrack to resolve dependencies, does it?
>
> Why should using a remote repository change the behavior of pkg_add?
>
> Are you sure you're not thinking of portupgrade? The -r otion to it
> causes things to be recursive, and it is sourced in ruby. And it's in
> the ports tree, not the base system (because it's sourced in ruby), so
> you'll need to look for the source (or maybe a tarball) there.
>
> >  Like, for instance (a real example), during gnome2 installation on 6.2:
> >
> > warning: 'gstreamer-plugins-gconf-0.10.4_3,2' requires
> > 'gstreamer-plugins-0.10.10,2', but 'gstreamer-plugins-0.10.9,1' is
> > installed

What I was saying is that, one way to go about it manually is hit
Ctl-C, uninstall version 0.10.9,1, then proceed - because the update
required package will be fetched (0.10.10,2). I was commenting the
pkg_add did not do that - detect an outdated version and act upon that
knowledge. i.e., removing it and installing the new one. Otherwise you
would end up having wrong dependencies. This, of course, with pkg_add
for stufflike Gnome, or KDE.

Portupgrade, AFAIK, does upgrade fetching source, right? It's not the
same thing.

Cheers.

Henry Lenzi