BSD license compatible hash algorithm?

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Thu Dec 27 16:47:26 PST 2007

On Dec 27, 2007, at 4:37 PM, Brooks Davis wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 27, 2007 at 04:30:40PM -0800, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> 	Just wondering if anyone knew of a good BSD license compatible
>> key-based
>> hash placement / retrieval algorithm that was available anywhere.
>> 	I'm looking for a reliable way to lookup objects to see if a
>> given action
>> would be performed in my revised pkg_install(1), to thus efficiently
>> pre-plan out the installation dependencies and fully utilize
>> multiprocessing capabilities of contemporary machines / eliminate
>> duplicate
>> dependency install requirements.
>> 	I know I can use tree structures or hash(3), but I want to avoid
>> trees
>> (inefficient with large data sets of course) and I was looking for a
>> non-BDB based solution (for right now, with this given structure
>> as I don't
>> want to write everything to disk). Later on it might be a good
>> idea to
>> cache the results using BDB on disk, but for now I was just
>> wondering if
>> there were any non-BDB based hashing solutions that anyone knew of.
>
> We imported hash(9) from Open/NetBSD recently.  It may do what you
> want.
>
> -- Brooks

Brooks,
	Looks promising, but how difficult would it be to port the code to
other platforms (Win32 for instance?). If possible (and this is lower
prio because FreeBSD has a lot more apps available as pkgs / ports
compared to Win32), I'm looking for a solution that would be easily
portable, as I'm trying to effectively kill two birds with one stone
by programming an equivalent generalized app / infrastructure for my
current job (large scale Windows administration and staying on top of
software updates is a pain with and without M$ products), and maybe
for open market as well.
Thanks,
-Garrett