printing boot probe messages

Bernd Walter ticso at cicely12.cicely.de
Mon Dec 24 05:15:58 PST 2007

On Sun, Dec 23, 2007 at 01:12:49PM -0500, Chuck Robey wrote:

> Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> > Chuck Robey <chuckr at chuckr.org> writes:
> >> I've lost the printing of all of th e messages you normally see, when you are
> >> booting yoiur machine (you know, mostly probe messages.  I used to see them on
> >> this box. When I made my first kernel, I had begun (obviously, as we all do)
> >> with GENERIC as a base, but changing the first loaders.hints and the kernel,
> >> that's the last I saw of booting messages.
> >
> > You say something stopped working after you fiddled with some config
> > files, but you don't show us those config files nor even tell us *which*
> > config files you modified in terms that we can understand (there is no
> > such thing as loader.hints).
>
> Dag, I looked through all my older messages, I couldn't see where I'd given
> you the misimpression about stuff stopping working when I made my first
> kernel.  Teh target then was to maintain booting, which it did, and I don't
> remember anything specific that stopped working.  The sound, for instance,
> didn't work before, and also didn't immediately work thereafter.  The only
> striking change, beyond jumping to current, was the uname print, and the
> sudden jarring cessation of all the boot messages (that, I could hardly
> have missed, it worried me more than a little at first, I though the
> machine had hung during boot!)

We all know that you have fiddled with a config file, because that's the
only possible reason for this to happen.

> Anyhow, I don't have that first config file.  I have the one I'm using now,
> so in the assumption that you would like to see that, I'm going to paste it
> at the end.  The only thing that I can comment on, so far, is that my
> motherboard hasn't got any serial devices, no uarts, so I don't have any
> ttyd0 device, and that's (I think) why it doesn't show up on any
> conscontrol listing.  Is there a better device to have set up, as my
> console output?  Note that my kernel config file has the sc (syscons,
> right?) device, in case either I  have done that wrong, or maybe it might
> mean I should spec some specific device to conscontrol.
>

> # To statically compile in device wiring instead of /boot/device.hints
> hints           "APRIL.hints"           # Default places to look for devices.

We all need to see your APRIL.hints and as already asked for your
/boot/device.hints
Why do you need statically compiled in hints at all?
This is normaly only done for exotic boot environments (e.g. on embedded
systems) where the normal bootchain can't be used.

--
B.Walter                http://www.bwct.de      http://www.fizon.de
bernd at bwct.de           info at bwct.de            support at fizon.de