Linux executable picks up FreeBSD library over linux one and breaks

Mon Dec 3 05:42:31 PST 2007

Quoting Chuck Robey <chuckr at chuckr.org> (from Sun, 02 Dec 2007
13:23:33 -0500):

> You've gotten some good suggestions, but I might add one more, I don't
> think it's been mentioned.  I have foound, myself in the last 2 weeks,
> some FreeBSD ports putting in Linux tools, installing stuff in the
> wrong places, like sticking in SYSV libraries in /usr/local/lib instead
> of /compat/linux/usr/lib.  I verified in that case that the Linux

If they put the libs directly in /usr/local/lib instead of
/usr/local/lib/<linux_port_specific_directory>, then it is a big
error. But if it is in a subdirectory where no FreeBSD lib resides, it
is ok (the linux browser sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the start script to
the right path).

Have a look how the native browser works, the private libs are not in
ldconfig either and the browser start script sets the library path for
the browser binary. At least it did this the last time I checked...

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Ryan's Law:
	Make three correct guesses consecutively