rc functions don't allow processes to shutdown

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Fri Aug 31 22:44:17 PDT 2007

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007, Erik Trulsson wrote:

> The times I have noticed that stop does not work without an _enable variable
> has been when I wished to stop running some service.  First I edited rc.conf
> to remove the _enable line (to make sure the service did not start the next
> time I restarted the computer) and then I tried to stop the service using
> the normal 'stop' invocation.  This of course did not work which was very
> annoying.  (The above is IMO the proper order to do this - if it worked.)

With all due respect, I think that if you've done the same wrong thing the
same wrong way multiple times, and haven't learned not to keep doing it
wrong, changing the code to meet your expectations is the least of our
worries.

That said, you of course have the code to modify in any way you see fit. I
do not believe however that what you're suggesting is in the interests of
the majority of FreeBSD users.

Doug