rc functions don't allow processes to shutdown

Benjamin Lutz mail at maxlor.com
Fri Aug 31 14:16:54 PDT 2007

On Friday 31 August 2007 18:51:23 Sean Bruno wrote:
> Tobias Roth wrote:
> > Sean Bruno wrote:
> >> I noticed that if rc.conf has ntpd_enable="NO", an invocation of
> >> /etc/rc.d/ntpd stop won't actually shut down ntpd.  I checked a
> >> couple of other processes(like net-snmp) and noted the same
> >> behavior.
> >>
> >> I would have expected that rc would be able to invoke the stop
> >> routines if a utility is disabled, but apparently the check for
> >> enabled/disabled occurs much too early in the rc handling
> >> functions for the stop to fire off.
> >> I could investigate further, as I am sure that it's a fairly easy
> >> fix to allow the stop functions to be invoked regardless of the
> >> enable/disable state.
> >> Does it make sense to anyone else that the rc functions should be
> >> able to shutdown a process when it has been disabled in rc.conf?
> >
> > /etc/rc.d/ntpd forcestop
>
> Indeed one could invoke that.  My question is more about what 'stop'
> should or should not do.
>
> Specifically, should it 'stop' when a process has been disabled?

Consider this: all init scripts are called with stop on shutdown. If
stop always does something, then you'll have many init scripts trying
to stop processes that aren't actually running.

While this shouldn't hurt the system too much, other than slightly
slowing down a shutdown, it doesn't feel like clean design to me. Nor
would adding an rc.d-internal-stop.

forcestop is a good solution for this issue imo.

Cheers
Benjamin