vlan taggging on etherchannel

Shteryana Shopova syrinx at FreeBSD.org
Tue Aug 21 08:03:18 PDT 2007

On 8/21/07, Tom Judge <tom at tomjudge.com> wrote:
> Arne Schwabe wrote:
> > Tom Judge schrieb:

> >> You may want to take a look at if_lagg, it supports EtherChannel (AKA
> >> fec), LACP and failover modes (Which is what you would need).  It is
> >> available in RELENG_6 and Current.
> > If the switches don't support LACP/Fec over two devices use bridge_stp
> > to simulate a switche and let spanning-tree do the failover.
> >
> > Arne
>
> Spanning tree may not select the GigE connection as the primary
> connection and use the FastE connection instead. if_lagg with

That is not correct in the default case - STP caluculates the pathcost
for a link based on its speed. Also one can always force a better
priority for a link using ifconfig(8) on FreeBSD.

I'd recommend reading
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-bridging.html
to start with. Also freebsd-net@ might be a better place for asking
networking related questions. :)