[patch] enhance powerd(8) to handle max temperature

Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko alex.kovalenko at verizon.net
Fri Aug 17 03:16:56 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 22:13 -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> [...]
> : > > : > gahr> My patch is really just a first draft that I wrote in order to have
> : > > : > gahr> feedbacks on the general idea to implement a temperature controlling
> : > > : > gahr> system inside powerd, and doesn't implement hysteresis as you noted, and
> : > > : > gahr> your feedback is that it's not a good idea, which I respect.
> : > > : >
> : > > : > It is rather backward, IMHO.  I did implement a passive cooling
> : > > : > feature as an enhancement of powerd(8) like you did, during initial
> : > > : > phases.  Then, I implemented it in our kernel as a result.
> : > > :
> : > > : I'll take a look at your patch.  Umemoto-san is right in that you really
> : > > : want the kernel to control cooling.  What happens if powerd dies/hangs
> : > > : and your system burns up?  Passive cooling is often a last resort to
> : > > : keep the system from overheating.
> : > >
> : > > I keep getting the system shutting down on my HP by FreeBSD because
> : > > the temperature exceeds the _CRT value.  Maybe there's something wrong
> : > > with my values, since it happens a lot:
> : > >
> : > > hw.acpi.thermal.min_runtime: 0
> : > > hw.acpi.thermal.polling_rate: 10
> : > > hw.acpi.thermal.user_override: 0
> : > > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 0.0C
> : > > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.active: -1
> : > > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.passive_cooling: 1
> : > > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.thermal_flags: 0
> : > > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._PSV: 90.0C
> : > > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._HOT: -1
> : > > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._CRT: 94.0C
> : > > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._ACx: 40.0C -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1
> : > >
> : > > Note: temperature is always 0.0C.
> : > >
> : > > What can I do to help my situation, if I really want the kernel doing
> : > > the cooling?
> : >
> : > Your embedded controller is timing out.  Thus you're getting a bogus
> : > value for _TMP.
> : I have sort of picked up this thread in the middle... was it determined
> : that EC is timing out? The reason for asking is -- I used to have a
> : laptop where _TMP would just read value from the memory location, which
> : was never populated anywhere else in ASL. Call to _PSV method would go
> : figure current temperature and start fan, if necessary. Ugly...
> :
> : Dumping ASL (using instructions from handbook) and looking for something
> : like
> :
> : Method (_TMP, 0, NotSerialized)
> :
> : might be a real eye opener.
> :
> : If you would like me to take a look at your ASL, send it to me privately
> : -- I've only done it for one laptop, so no claims of the great skill
> : there, but maybe it is as simple as the other one ;)
It just dawned on me that I have hit Reply, not Reply All previously,
which has likely caused my reply to be buried somewhere in the bowels of
your SPAM filtering software. So, here it goes again:

>             Method (_TMP, 0, NotSerialized)
>             {
>                 If (\_SB.PCI0.LPC0.ECOK ())
>                 {
>                     Multiply (\_SB.PCI0.LPC0.EC0.THEM, 0x0A, Local0)
>                     Add (Local0, 0x0AAC, Local0)
>                     Return (Local0)
>                 }
>
>                 Return (DTMP)
>             }
Could you, please, change

Return(DTMP)

in the snippet above to

Return(0x0B10)

compile your ASL, overwrite it on boot and let me know what temperature
reading is -- it either will stay at 0.0C or at 10.0C, which is not at
all useful for day-to-day operation but will tell me which code path has
been taken.

Also, please, either send me *all* of your ASL or put it up somewhere
for download.

--
Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko