questions on nonsleepable lock

Nex Mon sugarfreemonkey at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 23:53:14 PDT 2007

Hello All,

Can someone point me out or explain the technical details of this kernel
panic:

sleeping thread (tid 100093, pid 2676) owns nonsleepable lock
panic: sleeping thread

Is this caused by incorrect use of mutex or semaphores? Is this
related to kernel scheduling? Can this be addressed at the
archives and documentations but coudn't find a real good answer to
solve or prevent this problem.

Im using freebsd 6.1 with SMP enabled on a Xeon dual core hardware. The
system has several busy applications running, But the load average is very
minimal, around 8.55 and no process hogging the CPU. So I expect my system
should be running smoothly without in problem.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks a lot,
Mon