How to stop attached USB device / send IRP_MN_REMOVE_DEVICE?

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Aug 14 09:09:18 PDT 2007

Sven Hazejager wrote:
 > No, camcontrol does not support this over USB. Windows XP demonstrates it
 > is technically possible, and I do not believe it is fully safe to
 > disconnect the drive (even when unmounted), as the drive then is not able
 > to park its heads, which it DOES do under XP.

Every hard disk parks its head when power is switched off.
Last time I saw a hard disk which required a command to
park its heads was about 20 years ago on a DOS machine.

Best regards
   Oliver

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.  However, this
is not necessarily a good idea.  It is hard to be sure where
they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting
under them as they fly overhead." -- RFC 1925