How to stop attached USB device / send IRP_MN_REMOVE_DEVICE?

Sven Hazejager sven-freebsd at hazejager.nl
Tue Aug 14 02:40:14 PDT 2007

Hi all,

Is there a tool under FreeBSD 6.2 that properly stops a USB device,
equivalent to Windows XPs Safely Remove Hardware? I noticed that Windows
sends a IRP_MN_REMOVE_DEVICE command, after which my LaCie external HDD
spins down. Same applies to any USB stick: the light goes out on the
stick. I would like to do this under FreeBSD too. camcontrol eject or stop
don't do anything.

So, the question really is: how to send a IRP_MN_REMOVE_DEVICE command?

Thanks,

Sven