Problems with rpc.statd and PAE

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Aug 7 13:31:08 UTC 2007

João Carlos Mendes Luís wrote:
 > Don Lewis wrote:
 > > I've been seeing this same problem for a long time on an 7.0-CURRENT
 > > i386 machine with 1GB of RAM, and I'm not using PAE.  I haven't
 > > discovered any obvious cause for the problem.
 >
 > It's a production file server, so I cannot make any test today, but this
 > weekend I'll try to recompile statd to use less memory.
 >
 > Is there a good reason to map 256M at once?

Is there a good reason _not_ to do it?

rpc.statd has always mapped 256M, for as long as FreeBSD
exists (maybe longer).  I've never had a proble with that.
Obviously it does that because it makes managing the state
data easier.  That's enough of a good reason, I think.

Best regards
   Oliver

"File names are infinite in length, where infinity is set to 255 characters."
        -- Peter Collinson, "The Unix File System"