dhclient-script impotence.

Jordan Sissel psionic at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 16:06:09 PDT 2006

On 10/23/06, David Gilbert <dgilbert at dclg.ca> wrote:

> According to the documentation, dhclient calls dhclient-script for
> every action.  It does not.  It appears that dhclient only calls
> dhclient-script (now) to set the media.  At the very least, the
> documentation is wrong.  But the functionality that was
> dhclient-script was useful in many ways... not the least of which is
> situations where adding a default route is not the right activity.
>
> I have also noticed that dhclient (the new one) doesn't appear to
> correctly notice atheros wireless state changes.  It doesn't appear to
> try to reacquire ip addresses when you roam into a new open access
> point network.
>
> Dave.

This is due to a "feature" of the new dhclient that FreeBSD has. I think it
comes from OpenBSD? At any rate, whatever Openbsd (or FreeBSD?) did to it
severely crippled it's functionality regarding dhclient-script.

I made an attempt to fix it, but gave up a short way through (ENOTIME). I've
seen other patch attempts to fix this but those failed aswell. I'd be happy
if this were fixed, though it is a not-entirely-trivial patch, iirc.

-Jordan