Asymmetric ethernet throughput?

Avleen Vig lists-freebsd at silverwraith.com
Tue May 30 16:02:21 PDT 2006

On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 04:42:12PM -0400, Mike Meyer wrote:
> Well, it makes the throughput closer to symmetric when I'm pushing
> traffic both ways - but at around 7MB/sec. If I only run traffic in
> one direction, I get the previous behavior.

I might like to suggest that the problem is your RealTek NIC.
Those NICs so utterly suck (I have 2, before anyone thinks I'm bashing
without cause :).
I'm speaking from an implementation point of view, read the various
reports on the hoops drivers have to just through to send data.

They're fine for light home use (and well priced for that). Never expect
consistancy or line speed from them though.