misc questions about the device&driver arch

william wallace avalonwallace at gmail.com
Mon May 22 18:16:30 PDT 2006

I just have fossicked some idea from scottl at samsco.org "PCI-Express support "

PCI-Express support
All,

I've emailed before about supporting various aspects of PCI-Express and
especially MSI, but haven't really gotten too far with it due to lack of
resources.  I now how access to a system that can do PCI-Express (PCI-E)
so I'd like to revisit it and see what can be added for 5-STABLE.  There
are three general areas that need to be addressed in some form or another:

Enhanced Configuration Space:
PCI-E introduces an enhanced PCI Configuration space that allows for
each function to have 4096 bytes of space instead of just 256.  The
Intel Lindenhurst chipset exposes this space via a memory-mapped
window instead of the old slow type 1/2 ioport configuration methods.
It appears that if the northbridge supports the enhanced config space
then all PCI, PCI-X, and PCI-E devices will show up in it as well as
in the legacy space.

Proper support likely entails splitting up the pci host-bridge drivers
so that a given ACPI or legacy front-end can plug into a given enhanced
or legacy configuration layer.  This definitely is not going to happen
in time for 5.3, though.  A hack that could work for 5-STABLE would be
to provide pcie_[read|write]_config() methods that would compliment the
existing pci methods and be available for drivers that want to access
the >255 configuration addresses.  Devices are already showing up that
want to use these registers, btw.  The mechanics of doing this would
involve using pmap_mapdev() to map in the range that is specific to each
function, and then hang this information off of the pcicfg structure.
It's a bit hackish, yes, but it does seem to work in tests that a
colleague of mine has done.

MSI:
I've bantered around different suggestions for an API that will support
this.  The basic thing that a driver needs from this is to know
exactly how many message interrupt vectors are available to it.  It
can't just register vectors and handlers blindly since the purpose of
MSI is to assign special meanings to each vector and allow the driver to
handle each one in specifically.

In order to keep the API as consistent as possible between classic
interrupt sources and MSI sources, I'd like to add a new bus method:

int
bus_reserve_resource(device_t, int *start, int *end, int *count, int flags);

start, end, and count would be passed is as the desired range and would
map to the per-function interrupt index in MSI.  On return, the range
supported and negotiated by the OS, bus, and function would be filled
into these values.  flags would be something like SYS_RES_MESSAGE.
Internal failure of the function would be given in the return value.
Whether failure to support MSI should be given as an error code return
value can be debated.  This function will also program the MSI
configuration registers on the device to use the correct message cookie
and number of messages.

Interrupt registration would then proceed as normal with paired calls to
bus_alloc_resource() and bus_setup_intr() for each desired interrupt
index.  The individual function interrupt index would be used as the
start and end parameters to bus_alloc_resource(), and the type parameter
would be SYS_RES_MESSAGE instead of SYS_RES_IRQ.  bus_setup_intr() would
unmask the source in the MSI APIC just like normal.

Adding this for 5.3 is feasible, I think, and doesn't add a whole lot
of risk.  PCI-E provides a legacy mde for interrupts that simulates
PCI interrupt lines, so drivers can choose whether to use MSI or the
legacy interrupt methods.

Hot-Plug, lane status, lane bonding:
We don't have the infrastructure to support PCI or PCI-E hot-plug.  It's
also debatable whether this information will actually be available in a
standard form.  The PCI-E spec defines a new extended capabilities
structure in the config space that can provide some of this information,
but these kinds of things have a history of the vendors choosing their
own proprietary methods and ignoring the standard.  In short, we can't
deal with this in the short term at all, and likely not in the long term
without significant work to the bus and device infrastructure.

--
we who r about to die,salute u!