misc questions about the device&driver arch

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sat May 20 23:10:13 PDT 2006

> still a question about newbus 's BUS interface :
> usage of  DEVICE_IDENTIFY AND BUS_ADD_CHILD
> I know these bus interface func r called accessor functions ,that call
> the appropriate function by checking the parameter.just like the
> polymorphism technic  in OOP . that's really a magic :)
>  my first  QUESTION is  what if the calling device do not realize the
> corresponding interface ? taking bus_add_child interface as example.
> only a  few device-drivers have implement it ,but more r called for it
> .what will happen when BUS_ADD_CHILD(device_t bus, int order, const
> char *name, int unit) 's bus do not implement it ?

The BUS_ADD_CHILD interface is called by the bus.  Children drivers
don't need to know/care about it.  They aren't always needed,
however.  You'll likely find that only busses that are not
self-enumerating have these registered.  This is so that when the
identiy routines are called to enumerate the children otherwise
unknown to the parent bus, the parent bus gets notification of the
addition of these new chilren.

> my second is :a driver's DEVICE_IDENTIFY  always call its device 's
> parent's BUS_ADD_CHILD ,what is the semantic of them:)
> thank u

nope.  It may be called once per bus instance per driver, if the bus
is not self-identifying.  If the bus is self-idntiying, chances are
that it will not be called.  pci never calls its children drivers'
identify routine because it already knows all the children on the bus
and doesn't need the leaf drivers to go find instances of themselves.
the isa bus driver, on the other hand, does call the identify routine
so that pre-plug and play standard device enumeration can happen.

Warner