Zero Copy, FreeBSD and Linus Torvalds opinion

Wilko Bulte wb at freebie.xs4all.nl
Mon May 1 18:43:15 UTC 2006

On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 02:29:31PM -0400, Mike Meyer wrote..
> In <20060501180745.GC19342 at freebie.xs4all.nl>, Wilko Bulte <wb at freebie.xs4all.nl> typed:

> > > That's right, but sunos (earlier than solaris) was based on bsd.
> > > www : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunos
> >
> > Be specific:  SunOS 3.x and 4.x are BSD.  The later ones are called
> > Solaris 1.x IIRC
> > Solaris 2.x also calls itself SunOS, just take a close look at the boot
> > messages.  It is as DES already pointed out a SysV derivative
>
> SunOS 5.x was the OS. Solaris 2.x was the OS plus the windowing
> system. So when you booted a system running Solaris 2.x, you were
> greated with SunOS 5.x banenrs. Common usage was that SunOS 5 systems
> were called "Solaris", and SunOS 4 systems were called SunOS,
> regardless of how Sun labelled the distribution media.

Well.. Sun at some point took 4.1.3 and 4.1.4 into the Solaris naming
scheme.  Just confusing to a lot of people.

> > wikipedia stinks too often to be taken as gospel...
>
> The entry for Solaris largely agrees with my recollection of
> events. It's been long enough that I'm a bit hazy on the details, but
> there's nothing in it I know to be wrong.

I meant wikipedia in general, not this one in particular.  Its a bit like
people claiming "Bill Gates invented the internet".  Or Al Gore for that
matter ;)

--
Wilko Bulte				wilko at FreeBSD.org