Zero Copy, FreeBSD and Linus Torvalds opinion

Jamie Bowden ragnar at sysabend.org
Mon May 1 14:09:37 UTC 2006

On 5/1/06, Lucas Holt <luke at foolishgames.com> wrote:

> On May 1, 2006, at 9:23 AM, Maslan wrote:
> >
> > That's right, but sunos (earlier than solaris) was based on bsd.
> > www : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunos

> Sun OS is how I got into BSD.  My first sparc had sunos 4.21 on it.
> It was definitely BSD.  It makes sense considering Bill Joy co-
> founded sun.  I ended up putting NetBSD on that sparc and later found
> FreeBSD.

SunOS 4.1.4 (aka Solaris 1.1.?(1 maybe?  It's been a long time now.))
was the final release of SunOS 4.  It was basically 4.1.3_U1 with a
couple of other minor fixes merged in.  I spent a very long time
porting software from SunOS  4 to Solaris 2.3|4|5 during that time as
we transitioned from our older Sun4c|m based servers and hosts to
Sun4u (which of course only ran Solaris 2.5 and beyond (or Solaris 4
with patches, but those weren't general release and outside of Sun and
Pixar, I don't know anyone who had access to these)).

Jamie Bowden
--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"