cloning a FreeBSD HDD

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed Mar 29 04:05:03 UTC 2006

In message: <4429972C.5030806 at freebsdbrasil.com.br>
            Patrick Tracanelli <eksffa at freebsdbrasil.com.br> writes:
:
: >> I heard its faster if you use two dd's; i.e:
: >>
: >>    # dd if=/dev/ad0 bs=64k | dd of=/dev/ad1 bs=64k
: >>
: >> allowing read and write to proceed in parallel.
: >
: >
: > that's what ddd and 'team' are for.
: > I don't know if ddd is in the ports as it may clash inname with teh
: > debugger ddd
: > They internally fork and use several processes synchronised in some manner.
:
: Isn't dump+restore and a couple of fdisk+bsdlabel trick to copy the
: source partitioning a better choice to "clone" this HDD?

Yes.  That's what I *ALWAYS* do, because hard drives are never the
exact same size.

fdisk -I makes the fdisk part easy.  bsdlabel -R makes the disklabel
cloning relatively painless.

dump + restore is slow but reliabe.

Warner