Programs not accepting input?

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Tue Mar 28 01:13:47 UTC 2006

On Monday, 27 March 2006 at  7:03:23 -0600, Sergey Babkin wrote:
>> Same here.  As mentioned in the original message, I can use the mouse
>> to open a new window under firefox.  The new window will accept
>> keyboard input, the old one won't.  It's almost as if it's deadlocking
>> on input.
>>
>> Reminder: my final question was "how do I go about debugging this
>> problem?".
>
> Does it happen with any kind of programs?

No.  So far I've only seen it with firefox, emacs and kklondike.

> If yes, it would probably be something focus-related (and you'd be
> able to see that the Focus event is not coming in).

As already mentioned, this is not the case.  I've seen this kind of
problem too.

> The focus management and the highlighting of the window manager
> decoration are not physically connected in any way, so a bug in the
> window manager might cause it to do the highlighting but forget to
> give the focus to the application.

But mouse focus and keyboard focus are the same, right?  The windows
respond to the mouse, but not to the keyboard.

The remainder of your reply seems to build on the assumption that
there is no focus.  I'll leave it there in case I misunderstood and
you want to refer to it.

> To debug that you can add debugging printout to the WM. Or I've had
> a script that sort of decoded the X protocol, so if you can get the
> dump of these (maybe with ktrace), you can decode the dump and see
> what happens with the focus. I'll look for it in my archives.
>
> If no, it might be something with the keyboard event translation to
> keysyms/text. You can debug this by writing a test program that
> would do it own dispatch loop - i.e. call XEvent() and then
> XtDispatchEvent() (or some close names - I might not remember them
> right), and print the debugging messages. So if you see that
> XEvent() is getting events but then nothing comes out of dispatching
> them, then the translation is broken somewhere.
>
> I might be able to find this kind of a program
> in my archives too, I'll look around.

thanks.

> BTW, one place where the keyboard events might disappear is the
> Input Method handling code. But I don't think that you run any Input
> Methods.

Not explicitly.

Greg