Ricoh PCI to SD device?

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Mar 24 16:42:21 UTC 2006

In message: <68641D4B-5E18-4EE3-B7E1-57C9CC060F9D at brooknet.com.au>
            Sam Lawrance <boris at brooknet.com.au> writes:
:
: On 11/01/2006, at 4:34 PM, M. Warner Losh wrote:
:
: > In message: <20060109183738.GA4822 at odin.ac.hmc.edu>
: >             Brooks Davis <brooks at one-eyed-alien.net> writes:
: > : On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 11:12:30AM -0500, David Gilbert wrote:
: > : > Has anyone had a look at the following:
: > : >
: > : > none1 at pci3:1:2: class=0x080501 card=0x01aa1028 chip=0x08221180
: > rev=0x17 hdr=0x00
: > : >     vendor   = 'Ricoh Co Ltd'
: > : >     device   = 'SD Bus Host Adapter'
: > : >     class    = base peripheral
: > : >
: > : > This shows up on my new Dell XPS-170 laptop.  Since there is no
: > USB
: > : > attachment for the SD card reader, I can only surmise that this is
: > : > it.  Is someone looking at this, or is this completely new?
: > :
: > : People are looking at it, but there are no docs available.
: > Apparently,
: > : there is some work being done to reverse engineer it.  Linux doesn't
: > : support it either.
: >
: > It does support the SDA Standard SD Host Adapter Interface.  However,
: > The standard costs $1000 (if you are a member of the SD Association,
: > which I think is $1800 a year), and comes with an NDA so restrictive
: > that you'll be lucky to release a binary only version of your driver.
: >
: > I'm working on a port of FreeBSD to an embedded platform.  For that
: > platform, we'll need to read data from MMC/SD cards.  To do that,
: > we'll need a mmc/sd disk driver, a mmc/sd bus and a mmc/sd bridge.
: > This should give us a fairly good architecture to write a bridge
: > driver for the SDA Standard SD Host Adapter Interface should someone
: > ever figure out the interface.  Tantalizing clues are available for
: > the dilligent searcher on the web (the wikipedia entry for SD cards is
: > especially enlightening).  I have no plans to implement a the standard
: > SD interface.
:
: Apparently there are linux patches which work with some SD host
: controllers.  Maybe these will be useful:
:
: http://www.martinhenze.de/2006/02/04/sd-card-reader-and-ubuntu-linux/
: http://list.drzeus.cx/pipermail/sdhci-devel/2006-January/000347.html
:
: (gleaned from SLUG IRCers)

Thanks.  I'll have to see if I can use the code here to good effect.

Warner