copy paste in freebsd

Bruce M Simpson bms at spc.org
Fri Mar 24 15:51:39 UTC 2006

On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 01:52:20AM -0800, Divya B wrote:
>  Here is the problem i am facing with freebsd.
>  1. copy some text from a file or any window
>  2. close the file or window
>  3. try pasting it in another place.
>  Paste is not happening. Is freebsd lagging in this? Or  have I missed something?

FreeBSD is an operating system; it's not an integrated graphical
environment. It is easy for novice users to be confused about this.

You haven't told us here if you're using the text-based console, the X
windowing system, or any particular combination of X terminal program
and/or window manager, so it's difficult to offer useful advice.

If the former, it could be a FreeBSD issue, i.e. with moused or the
console driver, but you have pointed out that you're using a window,
so I will assume you're using X (this implies it is not a FreeBSD issue).

Traditionally X's clipboard support has been threadbare at best.
Having said that, you may wish to try a clipboard manager program of
some kind if this sequence of events is a problem for you.

I would suggest you try installing KDE or GNOME or a similar environment
and see what works for you as the concept of 'clipboard' is treated very
differently by such environments.

Regards,
BMS