unsatisfying c++/boost::multi_index_container::erase performance on at least FreeBSD 6.0

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Fri Mar 17 11:51:27 UTC 2006

On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 12:14:25AM -0800, Jason Evans wrote:
> >I'd hate to force PowerDNS users to recompile their libc for me :-)
>
> Yes, you should be able to use LD_PRELOAD to pre-load a shared library
> that has nothing but malloc.o in it.  In order to build jemalloc on 6.x,
> you will also need sys/tree.h from -current.

Ok, it turned out to be easier to use nedmalloc
(http://www.nedprod.com/programs/portable/nedmalloc/).

The FreeBSD version of the PowerDNS recursor now has performance on par with
other platforms, happily serving 3000 queries/second.

Thanks for your quick help Jason!

I do hope FreeBSD makes the move to your allocator quickly.

Regards,

bert