unsatisfying c++/boost::multi_index_container::erase performance on at least FreeBSD 6.0

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Fri Mar 17 07:55:06 UTC 2006

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 05:46:50PM -0800, Jason Evans wrote:

> I ran cache-test on -current using phkmalloc and a couple of different
> versions of jemalloc.  jemalloc does not appear to have the same issue
> for this test.  It isn't obvious to me why phkmalloc is performing so
> poorly, but I think you can assume that this is a malloc performance
> problem.

Thanks Jason, this has helped narrow down the problem significantly. From
this I understand that to work around this problem, I have some options:

1) tweak my code to not allocate such a large amount of small objects
2) move away from malloc/free based c++ allocators
3) recompile libc with jemalloc

I'm really hoping for 4) where I can LD_PRELOAD only jemalloc, would that
be possible? Or does libc include parts of malloc/free itself inlined?

I'd hate to force PowerDNS users to recompile their libc for me :-)

Thanks!