Customized Releases with updated sources and a Custom Kernel

Tom Daly tom at dyndns.com
Thu Mar 16 15:26:24 UTC 2006

Hi,
I'd like to confirm my steps in building a customized FreeBSD release CD.

The goal is to streamline server installation steps by having a CDROM that
will install FreeBSD 6.0 Release p5, and install a custom kernel on the
machine as well.

I am taking the following steps:

cd /usr/src/release

sudo make release \
   CHROOTDIR=/raid/release \
   BUILDNAME=6.0-RELEASE-amd64-PE2850 \
   CVSROOT=/home/tom/cvs \
   RELEASETAG=RELENG_6_0 \
   MAKE_ISOS=YES \
   KERNELS=DELL2850 \
   LOCAL_SCRIPT=/home/tom/release-local.sh
| tee /tmp/output.txt

release-local.sh simply copies the kernel file DELL2850 into
/raid/release/usr/src/sys/amd64/.

Does this make sense? Will my sources be up to date in this case? Also,
the DELL2850 kernel is not the kernel I end up booting off of. Will simply
mv'ing the new kernel directory into place do the trick?

Thanks,
Tom

--
Thomas J. Daly