Solaris libumem port on the works

pfgshield-freebsd at yahoo.com pfgshield-freebsd at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 15 19:03:29 UTC 2006

--- John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j at resnet.uoregon.edu> ha scritto:

> It's definately interesting, but doubtful will ever be imported to
> replace libc's malloc for one reason..   the CDDL is effectively the
> GPL:

It's nevertheless less viral. I don't want libumem in the base distribution
though... it can be a port. Many people find a userland malloc useful.

> That's why I started work on rewriting a allocated based upon the
> paper so that it'd have a BSD license...  I haven't worked on it much,
> and now that jemalloc is here, who knows...

Hmmm... from what I've read on mailing lists and blogs... while libumem is in
general a good performer, certain applications, like X, can actually get a
performance hit. Where libumem shines is while debugging: memory leaks, double
frees, can be found very easily.

I agree jemalloc is here to stay.

Pedro.