Infrequent disk system hang on 5.4-RELEASE-p8

Steve Watt steve at Watt.COM
Thu Mar 9 07:06:51 UTC 2006

(OK, I'm *waaay* behind on -hackers.)

In  <20060221173357.GE71757 at manor.msen.com> you write:
>We have an older server, running 5.4-RELEASE-p8 and used primarily
>for email, which hangs every couple of weeks.  The hang seems to
>be in the disk I/O system.  Based on the times of the hangs, the
>triggering event seems to be running dump.
>
>We have a serial console set up, I broke to the debugger and got the
>following.  Since the hang is in the disk I/O system, a dump is not
>possible.  The many versions of inetd are likely due to users attempting
>to POP their email.
>
>Any suggestions or tips on how to track this down and get it resolved
>would be appreciated.

This looks very much like a bug I ran across a while ago.  Look for
"snapshots and innds" in the subject line.

It doesn't seem like this has been resolved.  You may slap my
hand for not filing a bug report previously; I'm about to do
that.

The solution, so far, seems to be "upgrade to 6.x".  Whee.

--
Steve Watt KD6GGD  PP-ASEL-IA          ICBM: 121W 56' 57.8" / 37N 20' 14.9"
 Internet: steve @ Watt.COM                      Whois: SW32-ARIN