NetBSD disk backup over network

Bernd Walter ticso at cicely12.cicely.de
Tue Mar 7 13:43:51 UTC 2006

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 07:17:20AM -0600, Sergey Babkin wrote:
> >From: Ashley Moran <work at ashleymoran.me.uk>
>
> >I just saw this slashdotted article:
> >http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200603/dermouse.html
> >
> >Just to satisfy my curiosity, is it the sort of thing that can be implemented
> >as a GEOM layer?  The idea is bloody clever but sounds like a bit of a hack
> >right now.
>
> Well, I've been running around with this kind of idea for
> around 10 years now. Never actually implemented it though.
> I can't quite believe that encryption at full disk speeds
> makes no noticeable CPU overhead.

This sounds as nothing more than a mirror with one disk beeing a remote
file.
And this is not really a new idea - remote mirror has a long standing
tradition.
You can already configure these things with GEOM right now.
But this is in no way a backup, this just saves you from disk failures
which is the purpose of a mirror.
What is missing is history in the remote image so that one can access
older contents.

--
B.Walter                http://www.bwct.de      http://www.fizon.de
bernd at bwct.de           info at bwct.de            support at fizon.de