fdescfs functional in 6.1?

Rick C. Petty rick-freebsd at kiwi-computer.com
Sat Jul 29 20:52:56 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 11:16:53PM -0700, Jaye Mathisen wrote:
> I guess I just expected it to print all character device entries for the
> file descriptors open by my process.

It did-- well it printed all the file descriptors open by your process,
which in this case was "ls".  0, 1, and 2 are stdin, stdout, and stderr
(respectfully) and they point to the device you logged into.  Try doing
"ls -la /dev/fd | less" and I'll bet 1 will be a pipe?  This seems like
the correct operation;  I'm not sure I understand what you expected and
why that's different than what you've observed.

> Kind of like the old /dev/fd/1 /dev/fd/2 directories used to be under MAKEDEV...

How is that the same?  MAKEDEV was in the day before devfs, so the device
entries needed to be created by the underlying filesystem.  In devfs,
things are only present if they represent an active device.

-- Rick C. Petty