disklabel differences FreeBSD, DragonFly

Mike Meyer mwm-keyword-freebsdhackers2.e313df at mired.org
Fri Jul 28 15:03:21 UTC 2006

In <20060728144310.GA58252 at megan.kiwi-computer.com>, Rick C. Petty <rick-freebsd at kiwi-computer.com> typed:
> On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 09:33:41PM -0400, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > "Small disk drive" means "smaller than any drive I can buy at the
> > local Best Buy/Circuit City/CompUSA/similar". At the time, I needed an
> > 80GB drive, and paid about $60 for it.
> Well then your comparison isn't really fair..  Sure, a brand new hard drive
> from a retail outlet is more expensive than a 10-year-old box (especially
> if the box is refurbished).

Um, I didn't buy the drive from a retail outlet. It was defined as
small *because* it's to old and small for the retail outlets to carry
it. Yes, it's not as old as the systems I bought, but it's the price
point I had.  I bought it through a price comparison engine; I'd have
to dig through my records to find out who the actual seller was.

> No surprise there!  I thought we were comparing oranges and oranges.
> In that case, check out www.geeks.com (the old computergeeks), they
> have a number of drives for sale under $49.95.

The oranges we are comparing are "acceptable solutions to wanting to
isolate subsystems." The original solution was to buy modern disks,
and put lots of partitions on them. My proposed solution is to buy a
number of cheap boxes. A cheaper solution (the cheapest?) is to buy
lots of small, cheap disks. (and before somebody brings it up, the
costs involved only include the up-front cost.) They all have their
tradeoffs, but the point I made is that objecting to my solution over
the original one because of price doesn't carry that much weight.

	<mike