Programs not accepting input?

Eric Schuele e.schuele at computer.org
Fri Jul 28 03:51:58 UTC 2006

On 07/21/2006 08:32, Robert Watson wrote:

>>> This is likely an fvwm1 problem. I use it too (without 2 monitors)
>>> and after some time something gets broken in its focus handling, and
>>> the windows stop getting focus. Restarting fvwm clears up the problem.
>>
>> In my case, it's erratic.  I suppose I could try restarting the window
>> manager next time a window freezes.
>
> I've occasionally also had weird focus problems with KDE.  Among other
> things, it looks like occasionally the mouse release event is lost
> somewhere in the system (or something along these lines) -- I don't know
> if it's a driver problem, a moused problem, an X11 probem, or a KDE
> problem.  If I press and release each of the buttons, especially the
> third button, things will often recover.  As long as the button is "held
> down", KDE doesn't switch the focus and other events are largely
> ignored.  Odd, eh?
>
> Robert N M Watson
> Computer Laboratory
> University of Cambridge

I think I'm seeing something similar (not sure).... so I thought I'd
mention it.  I can repeat the effect on demand.

If I open my opera browser it launches a weather widget.  If I then open
a terminal (aterm in this case) and give it focus, everything is good.
If I bring my mouse over the widget, it appears to capture the keybaord
input.  My terminal cursor goes to an empty square.  (My window manager
is not setup to have the focus follow the mouse.  I focus on clicks.) My
terminal window is still highlighted as if it actually has focus.  If I
then click on the terminal window, or within the window in an attempt to
give it focus... I still can not type in it (the cursor is still
hollow).  Keypresses affect the widget only at this point.  The only way
is to either pick a third window, or actually click in the widget, and
then back to the terminal.

In fact I've done the same thing with the composing of this e-mail.  The
focus can be stolen from this "compose" window in a similar fashion.
I've only just started using this widget today, so this is the first
time I've come across this effect.

If you think this is a similar problem... and there is anything I could
do to help examine it, let me know.

--
Regards,
Eric