disklabel differences FreeBSD, DragonFly

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Thu Jul 27 14:58:26 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 09:49:48AM -0400, Steve Ames wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 02:21:59PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 08:39:37AM +0200, Andreas Klemm wrote:
> > > Later I wanted to mount the dfly filesystems on FreeBSD 6.1,
> > > of course still my main Unix ;-) But it wasn't possible.
> >
> > DragonFly disklabels allow 16 entries by default, FreeBSD still limits
> > it to 8. That's why you can't read it directly.
>
> Are there plans to bump the default up from 8? I'm honestly torn on
> this topic whenever I install a new system. On the one hand I like
> having a lot of discrete mountpoints to control potential usage. On
> the other hand with drive space being so inexpensive I sometimes
> wonder if I need to bother and can get away with very few mountpoints.
>
> On very large disks (or arrays that appear as a single disk) I have
> to create multiple slices in order to get more than 8 mountpoints. Its
> an extra hoop to jump through.

In most respects it's a pointless change since it just increases the
cound from one small number to another one.  If you need lots of
partitions, gpt is your friend.  The only problem with it at this point
is that we haven't done the work to boot from it and thus do away with
bsdlabels entierly.

-- Brooks