Just a question

Michael D. Norwick mnorwick at centurytel.net
Tue Jul 25 02:22:21 UTC 2006

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

>On 2006-07-24 19:22, "Michael D. Norwick" <mnorwick at centurytel.net> wrote:
>

>>The following warnings were generated by a GhostScript build during
>>'portmanager -u':
>>
>>./src/gsfunc0.c: In function `function_Sd_enum_ptrs':
>>./src/gsfunc0.c:37: warning: traditional C rejects ISO C style function
>>definitions
>>./src/gsfunc0.c: In function `function_Sd_reloc_ptrs':
>>./src/gsfunc0.c:48: warning: traditional C rejects ISO C style function
>>definitions
>>./src/gsfunc0.c: In function `fn_gets_1':
>>./src/gsfunc0.c:74: warning: traditional C rejects ISO C style function
>>definitions
>>./src/gsfunc0.c: In function `fn_gets_2':
>>
>>This is just a small clip of the warning when building one .c file.  The
>>build generated many of these warnings then aborted for reasons unknown
>>to me right now.  I just wanted to know what this particular warning is
>>in reference to.  Using GCC 3.4.4 (20050518).
>>

>This is the warning enabled by -Wtraditional, and you get it for all
>functions that have full prototypes, i.e.:
>
># giorgos at gothmog:/tmp/foo$ cc -Wtraditional foo.c
># foo.c: In function `foo':
># foo.c:4: warning: traditional C rejects ISO C style function definitions
># foo.c: In function `main':
># foo.c:10: warning: traditional C rejects ISO C style function definitions
># giorgos at gothmog:/tmp/foo$ cc -Wtraditional bar.c
># giorgos at gothmog:/tmp/foo$ diff -u bar.c foo.c
># --- bar.c       Tue Jul 25 03:53:59 2006
># +++ foo.c       Tue Jul 25 03:52:13 2006
># @@ -1,12 +1,12 @@
>#  #include <stdio.h>
>#
># -int foo ()
># +int foo (void)
>#  {
>#      printf("foo\n");
>#      return 0;
>#  }
>#
># -int main()
># +int main(void)
>#  {
>#      return foo();
>#  }
># giorgos at gothmog:/tmp/foo$
>
>Either the original GhostScript sources or the port uses -Wtraditional...

The compiler complaints I neglected to post were about #pragma's in
'traditional' C in numerous header files in /usr/src so this make
sense.  GhostScript and it's dependencies compiled and installed but now
I have to wonder if the warnings will affect the funtionality.  What do
I put in /etc/make.conf to keep this from happening on the next
upgrade?  The GhostScript source I used was from the ports tree.

Thank You,

Michael