WINE vs. FreeBSD

Michael Nottebrock lofi at freebsd.org
Sun Jul 23 19:42:27 UTC 2006

On Sunday, 23. July 2006 00:59, Kip Macy wrote:
> Thanks. That is a useful data point but David Xu has done a lot of
> work on libthr that has probably not been MFC'd back to 5.x. When I
> get the chance I'll try building KDE on my desktop which runs a
> derivative of -CURRENT.

At least on FreeBSD 5, the problems with libthr aren't just limited to KDE
(which really doesn't use threads all that much - Qt has limited support for
threads, KDE has even less and actual multithreaded KDE programs are few and
far between) - running the base-system BIND as a local DNS cache for more
than an hour or so with a global mapping from libpthread to libthr active is
usually enough to expose the problem (i.e. name resolution will stop
working).

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org