Building a sandboxed kernel

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Sun Jul 23 10:02:59 UTC 2006

On 2006-07-22 20:07, "R. Tyler Ballance" <tyler at bleepsoft.com> wrote:
> I'm working on a project that relies on me building kernels outside
> of the standard /usr/src (typically ~/perforce/projects/ ) on my
> relatively standard 6.1-STABLE workstation. I'm wondering if I'd be
> best suited by setting up a jail for kernel builds, I'm following
> this doc: http://people.freebsd.org/~cognet/freebsd_arm.txt loosely
> because I've created a new "arch folder" in src/sys for the kernel
> code that I want to build (right now it's unmodified i386 code)
>
> Between varying versions of userland tools (like config(8)) and path
> troubles, I'm wondering what tips anybody has to doing non-standard
> builds of the kernel (non-standard being not in /usr/src and not the
> host arch)
>
> Currently the make command I'm using, which doesn't work, is (/usr/
> obj is chmod'd 777):
>
> make TARGET_ARCH=iguana DESTDIR=/home/tyler/iguana buildkernel
>
> Any suggestions?

You don't have to use /usr/obj for all your builds:

    % mkdir -p /home/tyler/obj/iguana
    % env MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/home/tyler/obj/iguana \
      make TARGET_ARCH=iguana \
           DESTDIR=/home/tyler/iguana \
      buildkernel

The trick here is to use MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX to change the default object
directory prefix from `/usr/obj' to whatever suits your own setup.