FreeBSD 6.0/6.1: open ("/dev/lpt0" ...) hangs up

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Sat Jul 22 08:20:30 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-Jul-21 22:46:52 -0700, george+freebsd at m5p.com wrote:
>sprinkled in).  I'm guessing that if_plip.c has requested it and not
>released it, which apparently happens when there's been an ioctl on
>the plip.  There's no plausible reason why anythhing should be
>happeneing on plip, as far as I can tell.

There are several points in the startup code where it iterates
through all the available network interfaces.  Possibly one of
those is the culprit.

>  What can I call in lpioctl
>(if_plip.c line 302) to print out some identifying information
>about the process doing the ioctl?

All I can suggest is looking in curproc (struct proc).  There
doesn't seem to be anything passed to lpioctl() that would allow
you to locate the calling process.

>This problem is also present in 6.0.  Why haven't a whole bunch of
>people already run into it?  Am I the only person still using a
>parallel port printer and (at first) a generic kernel?

I suspect plip has outlived its usefulness.

--
Peter Jeremy