Programs not accepting input?

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jul 21 13:32:05 UTC 2006

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

>>> I've been keeping a closer eye on my problem.  I'm using fvwm1 with
>>> click-to-focus and lose-focus-on-screen-switch.  If I move from one screen
>>> to another and quickly click on a window, the border changes colour to
>>> indicate that it has focus but keyboard input is ignored.
>>
>> This is likely an fvwm1 problem. I use it too (without 2 monitors) and
>> after some time something gets broken in its focus handling, and the
>> windows stop getting focus. Restarting fvwm clears up the problem.
>
> In my case, it's erratic.  I suppose I could try restarting the window
> manager next time a window freezes.

I've occasionally also had weird focus problems with KDE.  Among other things,
it looks like occasionally the mouse release event is lost somewhere in the
system (or something along these lines) -- I don't know if it's a driver
problem, a moused problem, an X11 probem, or a KDE problem.  If I press and
release each of the buttons, especially the third button, things will often
recover.  As long as the button is "held down", KDE doesn't switch the focus
and other events are largely ignored.  Odd, eh?

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge