Programs not accepting input?

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Thu Jul 20 08:37:11 UTC 2006

To resurrect a fairly old thread...

On Mon, 2006-Mar-27 11:23:42 +1030, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>On Sunday, 26 March 2006 at 19:17:19 +1100, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>> My work system runs separate X servers on two heads (rather than
>> ximerama) and I have problems with windows occasionally refusing to
>> accept focus after I move the pointer from screen to screen (though
>> I can get an alternative window to accept focus and then switch back
>> to the window I originally wanted).  This started after an X.org
>> upgrade but I'm not sure which one.
>
>Interesting.  I've seen this one too: my mail window is at the left of
>the right-hand monitor on wantadilla (:0.1).  Frequently when I move
>from :0.0 to 0:1, the window manager will highlight the window on
>:0.1, but focus remains with some window on :0.0.  If I move further
>right and then back again, focus catches up with the correct window.

I've been keeping a closer eye on my problem.  I'm using fvwm1 with
click-to-focus and lose-focus-on-screen-switch.  If I move from one
screen to another and quickly click on a window, the border changes
colour to indicate that it has focus but keyboard input is ignored.
If the target is an xterm, the cursor stays as a hollow rectangle
instead of being filled - it looks like the WM knows that the window
has focus but either forgets to tell the client or the client loses
the message.  It I leave the mouse in the target window for a while
before clicking (maybe a few hundred msec) then all works correctly.
I wonder if some X events are being delayed and misordered.

>That's mainly irritating; the problem I describe above is annoying.

Did you get anywhere in debugging it?

--
Peter Jeremy