Genius slimstar pro keyboard

wolfie at xnet.co.nz wolfie at xnet.co.nz
Fri Jul 14 20:38:05 UTC 2006

Hey all,

I have a Genius slimstar pro USB keyboard. I am having the same
problems as other people are having
(http://www.google.com/bsd?hl=en&lr=&q=genius+slimstar+pro&btnG=Search) with
this keyboard. There seems to be no resolution to this problem short
of buying a new keyboard.

The problem I'm having is when you hit any key, other than enter, on
the USB keyboard, it outputs garbage (extended ASCII characters like
the spades symbol, for example). If I hit d, it is the same as hitting
ctrl+d. It does output the same symbols for each key, so at least
there is some consistency :)

I also have a AT keyboard plugged in which works as it should until I
hit a key on the USB keyboard. If I hit a key on the USB keyboard, the
AT keyboard starts outputting the same characters as the USB keyboard.
I have also tried without the AT keyboard plugged in, there is no
change.

I read in another post that disabling all legacy AT support in the
kernel could fix this. I tried this to no avail.

When I use kbdcontrol -i for any keyboard, I get the following
message: kbdcontrol: unable to obtain keyboard information:
Inappropriate ioctl for device. When I try a kbdcontrol -k /dev/ukbd0
I get the message: kbdcontrol: cannot open /dev/ukbd0: Device busy.
When I try to disconnect the USB keyboard from the kbmux, I get:
kbdcontrol: unable to obtain keyboard information: Inappropriate ioctl
for device.

The important lines at boot up, in order of appearance, are:
kbd1 at kbdmux0
atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> port 0x60,0x64 irq 1 on acpi0
atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> irq 1 on atkbdc0
kbd0 at atkbd0
atkbd0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
ukbd0: vendor 0x0458 ABBHOME, rev 1.10/1.01, addr 3, iclass 3/1
kbd2 at ukbd0

What I would find really helpful from you people is any idea's about
how to move forward with/resolve this problem. I am happy to trawl
through and modify any code.

One idea I have, and correct me if I'm wrong, is to get each
individual keyscan code from the keyboard and map this into the
relating file, ukbd.c or one of the related header files?

If anyone is needing any additional info on this one, just yell out
and I will get this to you.

Thanks in advanced,

Sam.