vop_stratgey name

Kamal R. Prasad kamalp at acm.org
Wed Jul 5 05:50:59 UTC 2006

The block device has a head which is positioned at (platter, cylinder,
sector) etc. before a write or read can be done. The strategy function
chooses the order in which blocks are to be accessed so as to minimize the
positioning required i.e. if  we schedule closely located blocks of data for
access -no matter when the request came in, that will speed up disk I/O.
 (In addition to this, the VM also does some strategizing of blocks to be
read/written before passing them to the block driver.).

regards
-kamal