Ricoh PCI to SD device?

Darren Pilgrim darren.pilgrim at bitfreak.org
Wed Jan 11 10:32:45 PST 2006

From: M. Warner Losh [mailto:imp at bsdimp.com]
> In message: <001401c61676$3fa0c290$672a15ac at smiley>
> "Darren Pilgrim" <darren.pilgrim at bitfreak.org> writes:
> : From: Brooks Davis
> : > On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 11:12:30AM -0500, David Gilbert wrote:
> : > > Has anyone had a look at the following:
> : > >
> : [ Ricoh SD Bus Host Adapter, PCI ID 0x08221180 ]
> : >
> : > People are looking at it, but there are no docs available.
> : > Apparently, there is some work being done to reverse engineer
> : > it.  Linux doesn't support it either.
> :
> : That's odd, because Ricoh provides technical documentation upon
> : request via the LSI Contact Us[1] page on their website.
> :
> : 1: http://www.ricoh.com/LSI/mail.html
>
> Are you sure they provide technical documentation sufficent to write
> the driver?  The last time I asked, I got a nice document that said
> that it implemented the sds standard sd host interface, but didn't
> document what that was.  TI and winbond chips datasheets are the same
> way.  Prove me wrong.  I'd love it :-)

The SD protocols aren't open standards.  Ricoh can't legally include
information about the protocols in their documentation.  Without working
implementation of the SDA's standards, FreeBSD is stuck.  I don't blame the
funding behind FreeBSD development for not ponying up the dosh; I think such
fees are extortion made legal by intellectual property laws.

But hey, it's the business.  It's not like we're trying to make a good, free
product everyone can use, right?