Tools for FreeBSD development

Kevin Sanders newroswell at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 08:23:35 PST 2006

On 12/3/06, Robert Watson <rwatson at freebsd.org> wrote:
> If using FreeBSD on i386/amd64 boxes, use PXE.  There are quite a few "instant
> setup" web pages out there that tell you how to get it running.  pxeboot makes
> life incredibly easy, as you can load kernels, modules, configurations, etc,
> over NFS.
>
> Robert N M Watson
> Computer Laboratory
> University of Cambridge

Thanks for th tips everyone.  My shop has all the VMware tools, and
I've used QEMU, but I prefer to develop on a real box and debug over a
serial port on a second box.  I'll give pxeboot a shot tomorrow.

While we're on this topic, what is the best way to debug kernel
modules.  I would like the ability to kldload my kernel module, set a
couple break points and single step through a section of code (at
least).  I've read Greg Lehey's
http://www.lemis.com/papers/Taiwan/tutorial.pdf but it seems a little
out of date.  From what I gather, the situation with the kernel
debugger has changed since he wrote it.

Kevin